As you may have noticed, it has been a few months since my last post. Due, in part, to increased hours at work, and, in part, to some other responsibilities, my nerf hobby has been put on the back burner as of late. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like that will be changing anytime soon.
Instead of stringing my readers along with false hopes of impending posts, I have decided to put the blog on official hiatus.
I’m not “quitting nerf” or anything silly like that, but I will be taking a break from blogging about it. When I do finish some of my current projects, I will likely post a video to my Youtube channel or make a post on the nerf subreddit.
This is a very basic Rapidstrike rewire. This will not get you top tier performance, but, if you are an electrical noob like me, it is a great place to start. The primary goal of this mod was to rewire the Rapidstrike so that it could use a battery pack, and to add a voltmeter in order to monitor the charge of said pack. The secondary goal was to gain sufficient knowledge to prepare me for a more advanced Rapidstrike build. Throughout this build I followed Torukmakto4’s “Standard Rapidstrike, An Illustrated Guide.”
If you have already seen my imgur post on the Nerf sub-reddit, then most of this will be review. That said, I will be going over the mods I’ve done, so far, on my Han Solo blaster, as well as my opinion of the blaster, and my future plans for it.
If you have ever seen The Mummy, then you probably remember the scene where Rick O’Connell, played by Brendan Fraser, pulls out his roll of weaponry. If you are anything like me, the first thought that occurred to you was, something to the effect of, “I want one of those.” For this reason, I was compelled to purchase the Big Bag O’ Blasters (or Big B.O.B.) from Blastersmiths UK (BSUK). BSUK is a company, based in the United Kingdom, that offers bespoke Nerf tactical gear as well as upgrade kits and parts for certain Nerf blasters.
First, I’d like to apologize for the lack of activity on this blog in the last few weeks. I’m trying to cram as much painting as I can into the few warm days I have left. That said, I have quite the backlog of projects and reviews to share with you when time allows. Here is one such project.
A while back I made this LARP Spear for a good friend of mine. Afterwards, he asked me if I might make him a belt-mounted dagger to match. Here is what I came up with.
The core is a short length of graphite golf club shaft. The blade is constructed from blue camp pad foam and 1/2″ pipe insulation foam, with an open celled foam tip. The pommel is made of a Nerf ballistic ball, while the guard is made of craft foam. Both have been coated in several layers of Plasti-Dip, and painted. The blade was given a cloth cover, and the hilt was wrapped in hockey tape and leather.
The belt sheath is made of leather. Due to its lack of rigidity, re-sheathing the dagger requires two hands. However, the dagger can be drawn quickly using only one hand. While the dagger is primarily meant for ceremonial purposes, I wanted to insure instant access in case of necessity.
The belt loops are riveted to the sheath so that it is worn horizontally at the back. It was designed for a left hand draw, but can be used ambidextrously.
I really like the new level of detail that I can put into these weapons using Plasti-dip. I’ll have to think up a really challenging build to test this technique further.