A Little Brass Goes a Long Way: An Alpha Trooper Mod

IMG_2056

It’s been a while since I posted a Nerf mod project, so here is one I did on a whim.

A friend of mine snagged this original N-Strike Alpha Trooper for me at a flea market.

IMG_2058

My original plan for this blaster was simply to remove the locks and the air restrictor, throw in an OMW 5kg spring, and call it good.

IMG_1875

However, in the process of drilling out the air restrictor, the entire barrel assembly came apart at the seams. That got me thinking. A bit of 17/32 brass nested in the stock breach might be worth trying.

IMG_1877

After carefully reaming out the breach with my Dremel, I installed a short length of brass, then glued everything back together with two part epoxy.

IMG_1878IMG_1880IMG_1881

Here you can just see the brass section in the barrel. While not a true brass breech, this mod allows for excellent dart fit, and makes the most of the upgraded spring.

IMG_1886

I padded the plunger tube with 6mm craft foam to mitigate some of the wear and tear.

IMG_1887

N-Strike reverse plunger style blasters get a lot of crap in the NIC. It’s true that a direct plunger system will almost always be more efficient. However, a properly modified N-Strike blaster can still give Elite blasters a run for their money. This Alpha Trooper puts my stock Elite Rampage to shame!

IMG_2059

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s